Monday, November 26, 2012

Twilight... another END!

Hello,

Its usually very unusual for me to watch any twilight movie in a day other than opening night, but I saw the very last installment over a week after it came out. The movie didn't do as good as expected, it didn't even break any records which is very surprising for the last one ever.

I have been a twi-hard (as we over- zealous fans are referred to) since my freshman year five years ago. Coming from Nigeria, I did not experience the phenomenon the books created here even before talk of the movie, I was too engrossed in Harry Potter to even notice any new young adult book pop-up and the rave of twilight never got home till the release of the first movie.

Many would say that the Twilight movies are some of the worst movies ever written or done and even worse acting from the lead actress Kristen Stewart. I totally agree with them, But I found twilight before Hollywood decided to destroy it as they do with every major book, and how they will soon do to Fifty Shades of Grey (a distant daughter to the Twilight empire).

When I first picked up the first twilight (which was given to me by a friend who was coincidentally a white American) I was mesmerized. This was the love that teenage girls dreamt off, albeit forbidding, but nevertheless True love. Edward protected Bella, he was super rich, he was described as a demigod in the looks department, and he knew how to take care of his woman. He was surrounded by a wonderful adopted family and a secret, which made us want him more. Bella was a disappointment, I hated her from her first lines. We all hated Bella, we wanted to take her place. After  reading the first book, i went online and ordered a copy for my sister to join me in the new craze. To further prove my obsession, I read all four books in a weekend (plus I'm a really fast reader). I and my sister waited for the movie and we were there opening night and hated it.

Hollywood destroyed my book, made it a laughing stock, and made those of us that read and enjoyed the book look like complete gullible idiots. The movie sucked, Kristen Stewart sucked more, Robert Pattinson wasn't 'Our Edward". All in all, five years later, I still go watch the movies opening night, and then watch them later just to make fun of them.

I still despise hollywood for ruining one of my Favorite books and making it a laughing stock, the same way they almost destroyed Harry Potter (alas JK Rowling was too smart for them). Even though the movie significantly improved, I loved the little twist at the end, It made the whole movie worthwhile.


Bubu

No comments:

Post a Comment